Categories
Authorities release

Authorities release underwater footage of lake where Naya Rivera went missing, call conditions ‘very diffic… – Fox News

The Ventura County Sherriff’s Department has released footage showing the underwater visibility of the lake where Naya Rivera went missing.

The former “Glee” actress, 33, disappeared Wednesday after she rented and boarded a pontoon boat at Lake Piru near Los Angeles with her 4-year-old son Josey. The boy has been located and is safe, but the search for Rivera is still ongoing.

At a Friday evening press conference, Capt. Eric Buschow explained that the department has brought in “specialized equipment,” including a sonar system, to help in the search.

FORMER ‘GLEE’ ACTRESS NAYA RIVERA MISSING, PRESUMED DEAD AFTER DAY ON CALIFORNIA LAKE: REPORTS

“What they do is they go out and they tow these devices in the water that scan the bottom of the lake for any objects that might look like a body,” Buschow said.

“Last night, they had a couple of images that showed up on the sonar that they thought might be promising to investigate. This morning, they sent an ROV, or a small robotic device, down into the water to examine those objects. Unfortunately, they did not locate Naya Rivera. They are still searching.”

A video posted on the department’s Twitter page Friday, shot by the underwater device, shows cloudy and green water. It’s tough to make out anything else in the 11-second clip other than a large tree limb.

Buschow called the murky water conditions “difficult,” but said authorities are utilizing all the tools they can get their hands on.

WHO IS NAYA RIVERA’S EX-HUSBAND, RYAN DORSEY?

“The visibility in the water is one to two feet,” Buschow said, noting that the depth in the area being searched is up to 35 feet..

“We’re still continuing the search and we appreciate everybody’s cooperation,” he said. “We know everyone’s concerned out there about this case and locating her and providing some closure for her family.”

Buschow said he’s confident that Rivera’s body will be found.

SECURITY CAMERA FOOTAGE SHOWS NAYA RIVERA BOARDING BOAT IN HOURS BEFORE DISAPPEARANCE

“It’s very effective,” the captain said of the sonar system. “They get a really detailed image and they can go down and focus on specific things rather than putting divers in the water where they’re literally feeling around because they can’t see.”

Authorities are focusing on the north and east sides of the lake, based on where Rivera’s boat was found and the wind patterns and currents.

“We don’t know if she’s gonna be found five minutes from now or five days from now so we’re still going to be continuing this effort,” Buschow said.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Josey, the son of Rivera’s ex-husband, actor Ryan Dorsey, is “in good health,” authorities confirmed earlier in the week.

Lake Piru is two miles long and its deepest point is “about 130 feet,” Buschow said. Authorities are also using sniffing dogs to assist in the searches from boats.

Rivera’s family has yet to release a public statement.

Fox News’ Julius Young contributed to this report.

Read More

Categories
Authorities Investigate

Authorities in U.K. Will Investigate English Park Stabbing As A Terrorist Incident – NPR

Forbury Gardens in Reading, England was the site of a stabbing attack on the evening of June 20. Police officials have formally declared it a terrorist incident.

Alastair Grant/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Alastair Grant/AP

Forbury Gardens in Reading, England was the site of a stabbing attack on the evening of June 20. Police officials have formally declared it a terrorist incident.

Alastair Grant/AP

A stabbing in an English park that killed three people and injured several others on Saturday is being investigated as a terrorist incident, authorities in the U.K. announced on Sunday.

The attack took place in Forbury Gardens, a public park in the town of Reading, England, about 40 miles west of London. According to the Thames Valley Police, a man attacked park-goers with a knife around 7 p.m., leaving three people dead and three with “serious injuries.” Officers detained a 25-year-old man from Reading on the scene and arrested him for suspicion of murder.

In a statement released Sunday, Head of Counter Terrorism Policing Neil Basu said the individual remains in custody and is thought to have acted alone. Security sources told the BBC the man is thought to be a Libyan national.

“From our enquiries undertaken so far, officers have found nothing to suggest that there were any other people involved in the attack, and presently, we are not looking for anyone else in relation to this incident,” Basu said.

He added that the stabbing was unrelated to a peaceful Black Lives Matter protest that had taken place in the park earlier that day and concluded hours before the attack.

One eyewitness, Lawrence Wort, told the BBC that groups of people were drinking and enjoying the park when a man suddenly started shouting and darting around a circle of about eight to 10 people. Wort said he saw him stab several people with a “massive” knife, which he estimated to have been at least five inches long. As people started screaming and running away, he said, the attacker stabbed at least one more person in a different cluster.

“Incidents of this nature are very rare, though I know that will be of little comfort to those involved and understand the concern that this incident will have caused amongst our local community,” said John Campbell, the chief constable of the Thames Valley Police.

National leaders also reacted swiftly to the attack. Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he was “appalled and sickened” by the incident, and thanked local police for bravely “tackling” the suspect.

I’m appalled and sickened that people should lose their lives in this way. Our thoughts are with the families and friends of the victims.

Thank you to Thames Valley Police for their bravery in tackling the suspect. pic.twitter.com/BWgyODoIWM

— Boris Johnson #StayAlert (@BorisJohnson) June 21, 2020

“My heart, prayers and thoughts are with all of those affected and to the people of Reading who will be deeply shocked and concerned by this terrible incident,” said Home Secretary Priti Patel.

Counterterrorism officials are encouraging members of the public who witnessed the attack or have other pertinent information to contact the police, and to refrain from sharing any images or videos of the attack on social media.

While the United Kingdom has weathered a series of terror attacks over the last several years, the location of Saturday’s attack was unusual, as most attackers have targeted locations in London for political symbolism and maximum publicity.

Police Treating Stabbing Of 3 At U.K. Train Station As Terrorism

According to M15, the national threat level to the U.K. from terrorism remains designated as “substantial.” Within the security agency’s five-level classification system indicating the likelihood of a terrorist attack, “substantial” falls squarely in the middle.

Frank Langfitt contributed to this report.

Read More