Categories
beaches Miami-Dade

Miami-Dade to close beaches for July Fourth weekend over coronavirus fears | TheHill – The Hill

Miami-Dade County, Fla., officials announced on Friday that the county would close beaches for July Fourth weekend amid fears that gatherings will spark further coronavirus outbreaks.

County Mayor Carlos Gimenez announced he was signing an emergency order to close beaches starting Friday and ending Tuesday.

BREAKING: Beaches in @MiamiDadeCounty will close for the 4th of July holiday out of concerns for social distancing and the Coronavirus. @MayorGimenez will sign emergency order to close all beaches starting Friday, July 3, and ending Tuesday, July 7. @nbc6 pic.twitter.com/wf6hlgsZl5

— Jamie Guirola (@jamieNBC6) June 27, 2020

“As we continue to see more COVID-19 positive test results among young adults and rising hospitalizations, I have decided that the only prudent thing to do to tamp down this recent uptick is to crack down on recreational activities that put our overall community at higher risk,” Gimenez said in a statement, according to a local NBC affiliate.

The decision comes as the state faces spiking cases in COVID-19. Florida shattered its single-day record of new coronavirus cases on Friday, adding an additional 8,942 confirmed infections, according to the Department of Health. 

In response to the massive spike, Florida announced Friday it is shutting down bars in an effort to slow the spread of coronavirus. 

Beaches in the area currently require social distancing by visitors. They had reopened earlier this month after closing due to the pandemic. 

The state came under fire earlier this year as the virus first began spreading across the U.S. and other states closed beaches but Florida’s remained open for spring-breakers.

Fourth of July celebrations have been canceled across the country, but President TrumpDonald John TrumpMiami-Dade to close beaches for July Fourth weekend over coronavirus fears Oklahoma reporter tests positive for COVID-19 after attending at Trump’s Tulsa rally Trump slams Illinois governor, mayor over violence in Chicago, calls for ‘law and order’ MORE will hold his second “Salute to America” celebration in D.C. this year. 

Read More

Categories
beaches Jacksonville

Jacksonville beaches reopen in Florida as states begin easing stay-at-home restrictions – CNN

(CNN)Beaches and parks in Jacksonville, Florida, reopened Friday afternoon as more states consider easing restrictions put in place to battle the coronavirus pandemic.

Crowds at Jacksonville Beach cheered when the barriers came down on the beach, according to CNN affiliate WJXT.
Beaches will be open from 6 to 11 a.m. and from 5 to 8 p.m. daily with some restrictions, according to Jacksonville’s website. Recreational activities such as running, biking, hiking and swimming will be permitted during this soft reopening, the city’s website said.
Activities such as sunbathing or any type of group activity will not be allowed at beaches during the restricted hours and items like towels, blankets, chairs, coolers and grills will not be permitted on the beach.
“This can be the beginning of the pathway back to normal life,” Mayor Lenny Curry said. “Please respect and follow these limitations. Stay within the guidelines for your safety as well as for the safety of your neighbors.”
People were excited to be able to get back out onto the sand.
“I’m planning on going and riding my bicycle or surfing,” Elliott Toney told WJXT.
But not everyone thought reopening the beaches was a good idea.
“There’s a potential for the virus to blow into the air, so I think it’s a risk,” Lisa Mancini told the affiliate.
Officials aren’t afraid to pull the plug on beachgoers if they don’t abide by the social distancing rules and beach restrictions, Atlantic Beach Mayor Ellen Glasser said at a press conference Friday.
“This not a time to lounge. This is not a time to party. This is a time where you need to exercise, keep moving and then go home,” Glasser said.
Parks will resume regular hours but the city’s order limiting gatherings to fewer than 50 people remains in effect.
Gov. Ron DeSantis was criticized back in March for his handling of spring break and not closing the beaches sooner. As a result, he issued a “Safer at Home” order that went into effect April 3 and is in effect until April 30. The order limits movement outside homes to providing or getting essential services or carrying out essential activities and applies to interaction with other people outside of residents’ homes.
DeSantis supported the idea of reopening beaches, parks and other public spaces as long as social distancing is practiced, WJXT reported.
“You look at how this disease is transmitted, it’s transmitted overwhelmingly when you are in close, sustained contact with people, usually in an indoor environment,” DeSantis said. “Going forward, we got to be promoting people to get exercise, do it in a good way, to do it in a safe way.”

Read More