Pharma giant AstraZeneca struck a deal Saturday with Europe’s Inclusive Vaccines Alliance to supply up to 400 million doses of an experimental Covid-19 vaccine, as efforts to boost manufacturing capacity continue at pace.
Subscribe to France 24 now:
FRANCE 24 live news stream: all the latest news 24/7
Visit our website:
Subscribe to our YouTube channel:
Like us on Facebook:
Follow us on Twitter:
A sign reading informations about the safety restrictions due to the outbreak of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) at the entrance of a beach on the Promenade des Anglais, after France reopened its beaches to the public as it softens its strict lockdown rules, in Nice, France, May 16, 2020. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard
PARIS (Reuters) – French health authorities reported 96 new coronavirus deaths on Saturday, as the country eases from a two month lockdown.
In a statement, the health ministry said the figure had fallen slightly from 104 fatalities on Friday. This brings France’s total to 27,625, the fourth-highest tally in the world, after the United States, Britain, and Italy, and just ahead of Spain.
The ministry said the number of people in hospital fell to 19,432 from 19,861 on Friday and the number of people in intensive care dropped to 2,132 from 2,203 on Friday.
Both numbers – key indicators for the French health system’s ability to cope with the epidemic – have been on a downtrend for four to five weeks and peaked at over 32,000 and over 7,000 respectively in early to mid-April.
Reporting by Dominique Vidalon; Editing by Edmund Blair and Alexandra Hudson
Choose your subscription
Not sure which package to choose?
Try full access for 4 weeks
- For 4 weeks receive unlimited Premium digital access to the FT’s trusted, award-winning business news
Be informed with the essential
news and opinion
- MyFT – track the topics most important to you
- FT Weekend – full access to the weekend content
- Mobile & Tablet Apps – download to read on the go
- Gift Article – share up to 10 articles a month with family, friends and colleagues
FT Newspaper delivered daily plus unlimited digital access
All the benefits of Premium plus:
- The FT delivered to your home or office Monday to Saturday, including the FT Weekend paper and supplements
Premium FT.com access for multiple users, with integrations & admin tools
All the benefits of Premium Digital plus:
- Convenient access for groups of users
- Integration with third party platforms and CRM systems
- Usage based pricing and volume discounts for multiple users
- Subscription management tools and usage reporting
- SAML-based single sign on (SSO)
- Dedicated account and customer success teams