Categories
opening owners

MLB owners give opening presentation on restarting season to players – ESPN

play

Why MLB players should accept proposal for shortened season (1:43)

Mark Teixeira and Jeff Passan weigh in on the impending decision by the MLBPA on a proposed shortened 2020 season with a 50-50 revenue split between players and owners. (1:43)

9:19 PM ET

  • Jesse RogersESPN Staff Writer

    Close

      Jesse joined ESPN Chicago in September 2009 and covers the Chicago Cubs for ESPNChicago.com and ESPN Radio 1000.

A multihour meeting between Major League Baseball and the MLB Players Association on Tuesday was a first step in addressing the complex issues facing a restart for the sport amid the coronavirus pandemic, though the discussion didn’t involve any economic components pertaining to player compensation, sources familiar with the meeting told ESPN.

Items addressed include timing and logistics for a second spring training, potential rule changes, roster sizes and transaction rules. A good bulk of the meeting revolved around COVID-19 testing protocols, including contact tracing and response procedures in case of positive tests. Details for much of the health and safety concerns will be relayed to the association in the coming days.

Also addressed were ballpark access procedures moving forward, as well as health and safety issues away from the ballpark.

Once the health concerns are addressed, many around the sport believe the biggest hurdle will revolve around the economics at play. The players’ association believes this is a settled debate, having agreed in late March to a prorated salary structure that would pay players for every game they play this season.

The sides also agreed in March to discuss the economics of a season played without fans in the stands. Baseball commissioner Rob Manfred has said that about 40% of MLB revenue is tied to gate, including concessions, parking, ballpark advertising, luxury suites and programs.

Fearful of those financial losses, owners approved a plan Monday that would pay players a percentage of their 2020 salaries based on a 50-50 split between players and owners of MLB’s revenue from the regular season and postseason, sources told ESPN. The union views that concept as a salary cap, which it has said it will never agree to.

However, none of that came up Tuesday. Negotiations between the sides could take up to two weeks, as they work through all the layers in order for baseball to start its season.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read More

Categories
investigation opening

Navy opening full investigation of coronavirus outbreak on USS Theodore Roosevelt – The Washington Post

The U.S. Navy will open a full investigation of the coronavirus outbreak aboard an aircraft carrier, acting Navy secretary James McPherson said Wednesday, days after the service’s top officer recommended the reinstatement of a captain who raised concerns about the handling of the issue.

McPherson said Wednesday that after carefully reviewing a preliminary inquiry into what happened, he has “unanswered questions” that “can only be answered by a deeper review.”

“This investigation will build on the good work of the initial inquiry to provide a more fulsome understanding of the sequence of events, actions, and decisions of the chain of command surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak aboard USS Theodore Roosevelt,” McPherson said in a statement.

The statement did detail McPherson’s questions, and Navy officials did not offer clarification Wednesday morning. It was not immediately clear who will lead the investigation for Adm. Mike Gilday, the chief of naval operations.

The outbreak on the ship in the Pacific had resulted in 940 confirmed coronavirus cases and 29 recovered cases so far among a crew of more than 4,800, the Navy said. The virus began spreading after a port visit to Vietnam in early March, although Navy officials have said the outbreak could have originated with a resupply flight to the carrier.

As the outbreak spread among the crew, Navy Capt. Brett Crozier, the commanding officer, sent an email to three admirals with a memo attached raising concerns as the ship arrived in Guam for quarantining, testing and cleaning.

“I fully realize that I bear responsibility for not demanding more decisive action the moment we pulled in, but at this point my only priority is the continued well-being of the crew and embarked staff,” Crozier wrote in the March 30 email, later obtained by The Washington Post. “I believe if there is ever a time to ask for help it is now regardless of the impact on my career.”

The memo attached to the email leaked to the media and was initially published in the San Francisco Chronicle a day later. Crozier wrote in it that “decisive action is required.”

“We are not at war. Sailors do not need to die,” Crozier wrote. “If we do not act now, we are failing to properly take care of our most trusted asset — our sailors.”

Acting Navy secretary Thomas Modly removed Crozier from his job April 2, saying the captain had not safeguarded his message to senior Navy officials and had shown poor judgment. Modly resigned on April 7 after traveling from Washington to Guam and delivering a speech over the Theodore Roosevelt’s loudspeaker in which he insulted Crozier and lectured the crew for supporting him.

Gilday recommended Crozier be reinstated last week, following the preliminary inquiry. But McPherson and Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper sought more information before making a decision.

President Trump initially criticized Crozier for sending the memo and email to Navy officials but softened his tone when videos emerged showing the ship’s crew cheering Crozier off the ship after he was relieved of command. Trump said that he did not “want to destroy somebody for having a bad day,” and that he might intervene in the ca

Read More