Categories
Apocalyptic Orange

Apocalyptic orange glow may have helped slow down California wildfires – New York Post

September 12, 2020 | 10:27am | Updated September 12, 2020 | 1:13pm

The smoke that caused the skies of Northern California to turn an apocalyptic orange earlier this week actually helped crews contain the region’s massive wildfires by blocking the scorching sun and cooling the air.

But death and devastation lie beneath the ashes.

The state’s wildfire-fighting agency, CalFire, said the enormous blaze so far torched 252,500 acres, and was just 23% contained as of late Friday. It’s one of 28 major wildfires burning across the state.

The North Complex inferno, which formed when three fires started during a lightning storm last month combined, has killed at least nine people, including a 16-year-old boy. That toll was reduced by one Friday after officials learned that remains found in a burned storage shed were a model skeleton used by an anthropology student.

The massive fire has reduced the tiny hamlet of Berry Creek in the rugged Sierra Nevada foothills to smoldering ash. The community was home to just 525 residents, including 16-year-old Josiah Williams. He died trying to escape in a vehicle.

At least 19 people remain missing. Search crews were heading to the rugged region, but some areas were still too dangerous to immediately begin work. “Right now, the areas that we need to search are too hot,” Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea. Residents are not yet allowed to return to see if their homes survived.

Bear Fire in Oroville

The charred remains of a boat and vehicle burned by the Bear fire in Berry Creek, California.

Peter DaSilva/EPA

Pictures of the Week in North America Photo Gallery

Flames fly above vehicles on Highway 162 as the Bear Fire burns in Oroville, California.

Noah Berger/AP

Pictures of the Week Photo Gallery-Global

Embers light up a hillside behind the Bidwell Bar Bridge as the Bear Fire burns in Oroville, California.

Noah Berger/AP

Bear Fire in Oroville

Butte County Animal Control officer Linda Newman prepares to load two donkeys that were found wandering along a roadside in Berry Creek, California.

Peter DaSilva/EPA

Gavin Newsom

Gov. Gavin Newsom talks to the media after he toured the North Complex Fire zone yesterday.

Paul Kitagaki Jr./The Sacramento Bee via AP

Up Next


Joe Biden wants to run on Barack Obama’s record. Obama…

President Trump is expected to visit the region on Monday, Fox 11 Los Angeles reported. He’s expected to go to a park in Sacramento County, which has served as a base for CalFire operations.

Touring the area on Friday, California Gov. Gavin Newsom railed about climate change. “I’m exhausted that we have to continue to debate this,” Newsom said, the East Bay Times reported. “This is happening. It’s happening in unprecedented ways. Year in, year out. You can exhaust yourself with your ideological B.S. … but the reality here is the mega-fires that we’re experiencing come from these mega-droughts that we’re experiencing.”

Through Aug. 30, at least 5,924 wildfires had burned 3.1 million acres in California. Five of this year’s fires are already among the top 20 largest fires since records started being kept in 1932, and fire season often gets worse in the fall.

Read More

Categories
County Orange

Orange County Board of Education votes for kids to return to classes in fall without requiring social distancing or masks – CNN

(CNN)Some of the largest school districts in Orange County, California, say they will not follow their board of education’s recommendation to return students and teachers to the classroom.

The Orange County Board of Education approved its recommendations on Monday for the reopening of schools in the fall. The board voted 4-1 to approve a set of guidelines, including regular temperature checks, frequent hand washing and thorough cleanings of classrooms, offices and buses.
The board did not, however, require the use of masks or social distancing. In fact, it advised against the measures.
CNN contacted or gathered information from all 28 of the county’s school districts on Tuesday. Of the districts that responded or posted plans online — more than half — none said they would return children to school without masks or social distancing.
The Anaheim Unified School District, which serves approximately 30,000 students, told CNN it will recommend to its board of trustees re-opening schools with a full distance-learning model to start the 2020-2021 school year.
Santa Ana Unified, the county’s second largest district with more than 50,000 students and employees, will follow a similar path, stating in a news release that the district will start the year “entirely via distance learning.”
“During these challenging times, the safety of our school community continues to be our top priority. While we hope at some point to have our students attend our schools alongside their classmates and teachers, now is not the time,” said Santa Ana Unified School District Superintendent Jerry Almendarez.
“Meanwhile, we are working to develop a rigorous distance learning plan that will allow students to continue their education at home.”
Farther south, Irvine Unified School District, with 36,000 students, said it will discuss its educational model for the fall in a meeting Tuesday night, but added, “To be clear, IUSD is not governed by the OC Board of Education and our District will not follow their non-binding recommendations for the 2020-21 school year.”
Other districts in the county that serve grades K-12, including the Capistrano and Tustin Unified School Districts, say they will offer families the option of a hybrid schedule or 100% online learning. Still, the Huntington Beach Union High School District, La Habra City School District, and others specifically said they would not return children to classes under the guidelines.
And a smaller district in Anaheim, the Magnolia School District, slammed the board for “politicizing” the safety of schools, and said it was leaning toward 100% online instruction in the fall.
“We are in Anaheim with the highest percent of Covid-19 infections in the Orange County,” Superintendent Frank Donavan told CNN. “The Board’s vote last night is not safe and is politicizing something that shouldn’t be political.”

The board’s recommendations

“K-12 children represent the lowest-risk cohort for Covid-19. Because of that fact, social distancing of children and reduced census classrooms is not necessary and therefore not recommended,” read the recommendations, contained in a white paper.
“Requiring children to wear masks during school is not only difficult — if not impossible to implement — but not based on science. It may even be harmful and is therefore not recommended,” it said.
The board noted that these recommendations were merely guidelines, not “laws” or “even rules.” It will be up to the individual school districts on how they want to go about having their students return for in-person classes.
If a district decides to not reopen or resume classes in a “typical classroom environment and school atmosphere,” the board says parents should be allowed to send their children to another school district or charter school.
The board emphasized its belief that schools need to reopen in the fall.
Calling remote learning an “utter failure,” the board said “abandoning the classroom in favor of computer-based learning proved frustrating to all — not just parents and students but teachers, too.”
While some parents voiced their support to reopen schools during the board meeting, a group of parents and teachers gathered outside of the board’s meeting, protesting the idea of having kids return to school without masks or social distancing, according to CNN affiliate KCAL.
As California sees a surge in new coronavirus cases, two of the state’s largest school districts — Los Angeles and San Diego — have already announced that they will not open for any in-person instruction in the fall.
The American Academy of Pediatrics has advocated for schools to reopen in the fall, saying that the mental and physical benefits of in-person learning outweigh the risks from the coronavirus.
But while the group said face coverings or physical distancing were of lower priority to younger children, it recommended that students in middle and high schools be required to wear face coverings when a 6-foot distance is not able to be maintained.

Read More

Categories
County Orange

Orange County coronavirus cases pass 4,000 – Los Angeles Times

Orange County’s recent coronavirus spike continued Friday as health officials reported 158 new infections and four additional fatalities — raising the total number of cases to 4,125 and the death toll to 84.

The latest update continued a multiday trend that has seen the county’s caseload grow significantly, even as officials move forward with lifting coronavirus-related restrictions and allowing more businesses to reopen.

For three consecutive days, the county has reported at least 156 new COVID-19 cases. It had previously hit that number only once since the outbreak began, according to the Orange County Health Care Agency.

Since Wednesday, the county has confirmed 543 new cases — including a single-day high of 229 on Thursday.

The cases added in just the past three days account for roughly 13.2% of the county’s cumulative count of 4,125.

Officials have cited several possible explanations for the sudden rise in cases.

One reason, officials say, is that more people are becoming infected in nursing homes and jails, settings that allow rapid spread.

“Most is due to a volume of cases identified in nursing homes and jails in the past two weeks,” county Health Care Agency Director Clayton Chau said about the recent surge. “The congregate care population accounts for a fair proportion.”

Of those who have tested positive for COVID-19, 430 have been residents of skilled nursing facilities and 335 have been Orange County jail inmates.

Nursing home residents also account for one-fourth of the county’s coronavirus-linked fatalities. No deaths have been reported among jail inmates so far.

“The infection rate within those congregate living environments has hit Orange County in a delayed manner, compared to some of our large urban peers, but it is here now in Orange County and we have to step up the amount of testing and protocols for cleaning,” said County Executive Officer Frank Kim.

Those populations also account for many of those who are hospitalized with COVID-19, officials said.

As of the latest update, 212 people were hospitalized countywide, including 78 who were in intensive care. Both those numbers were down from the prior two days.

Officials say another factor is testing. Logically, the more you screen, the more cases you will uncover.

However, although Orange County dramatically ramped up its testing efforts starting in late April, the past few days have seen fewer test results reported than during the same time last week, according to available data.

Still, County Health Officer Dr. Nichole Quick said Monday that the percentage of people who test positive “has remained relatively stable and, overall, has been decreasing, which is good.”

Times staff writer Colleen Shalby contributed to this report.

Read More