Categories
Jaguars Place

Jaguars place five on COVID-19 list, including Gardner Minshew – NBC Sports – NFL

Getty Images

The Jaguars are counting on Gardner Minshew II to be their answer this season, but for now, they will have to wait on him to begin his strength and conditioning work.

The team placed Minshew and four others on the COVID-19 list Sunday.

Running back Ryquell Armstead, tight end Charles Jones, receiver Michael Walker and safety Andrew Wingard also went on the reserve list.

It means the players either tested positive for COVID-19 or must quarantine after coming in close contact with someone infected.

Minshew, a sixth-round choice in 2019, went 6-6 as a rookie. He began the season as Nick Foles‘ backup but won the job after Foles was injured.

The Jaguars traded Foles to Chicago this offseason.

Minshew threw for 3,271 yards with 21 touchdowns and six interceptions last season.

Earlier Sunday, the Jaguars announced they activated rookie defensive lineman DaVon Hamilton, second-year tight end Charles Jones and second-year offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor from the team’s COVID-19 list.

Read More

Categories
Lions Place

Lions place QB Matthew Stafford on reserve/COVID-19 list – ESPN

4:41 PM ET

  • Michael RothsteinESPN Staff Writer

    Close

    • Previously covered University of Michigan for ESPN.com and AnnArbor.com
    • Also covered Notre Dame for Fort Wayne Journal Gazette

Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford on Saturday became the eighth member of the team to be placed on the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Stafford was put on the list after results came back from the team’s third round of testing on Friday. Players are put on the list either if they’ve tested positive for COVID-19 or have been in close contact with someone who has the coronavirus. Players must stay on the list until they are medically cleared to return to their teams.

It’s unclear how long Stafford will be out, per NFL protocol, but the team is scheduled to start strength and conditioning workouts Monday.

The Lions, when reached for comment, referred to the NFL-NFLPA policy that “clubs are not permitted to comment on a player’s medical status other than referring to roster status.”

A message left with Stafford’s agent seeking comment was not immediately returned to ESPN.

If they completed three negative COVID-19 tests on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, Lions players on Saturday were allowed into the team’s practice facility in Allen Park, Michigan, for the first time for physicals and equipment pickup.

Stafford is coming off a season-ending back injury in 2019, which cost him the final eight games of last season.

When Stafford’s wife Kelly was pregnant with their fourth child in May (she’s since given birth to a daughter), Stafford said they’ve been as cautious as possible.

“I think it’s in everybody’s best interest to be as safe as you can possibly be whether you’ve got a pregnant wife at home with kids or not,” Stafford said in May. “Obviously nobody really knows, there’s not hard data on this yet, on what it does to a pregnant woman or a baby or whatever it is. We’re just trying to make sure we’re doing whatever we possibly can to limit our exposure.

“Make sure we are at home doing everything that the experts are telling us to do, as much as we possibly can, and we’re trying to stay sane and still have a little bit of fun here and there.”

Stafford, though, did work out with teammates throughout the offseason where he has homes, including training with Kenny Golladay in California, Danny Amendola in Georgia and then a small group of Lions players in June. The June workout came against the advice of the NFLPA, which at the time asked players to stop group workouts.

The 32-year-old quarterback is the eighth Lions player to appear on the COVID-19 reserve list, joining Golladay, tight ends T.J. Hockenson and Isaac Nauta, cornerbacks Justin Coleman and Amani Oruwariye, punter Arryn Siposs and safety Jalen Elliott.

Read More

Categories
Place Quiet

‘A Quiet Place 2,’ ‘Top Gun: Maverick’ Delayed Until 2021 – Variety

Fans will have to wait until next year to see the sequels to “A Quiet Place” and “Top Gun.”

Both movies were part of a release date shakeup from Paramount on Thursday night. “A Quiet Place Part 2,” starring John Krasinski and Emily Blunt, will release in theaters on April 23, 2021, instead of Sept. 6, 2020. “Top Gun: Maverick,” a sequel to Tom Cruise’s 1986 classic, will take flight on July 2, 2021, nearly six months after its original date of Dec. 23, 2020.

“We truly believe that there is no movie-viewing experience like the one enjoyed in theatres,” said Paramount’s president of domestic distribution Chris Aronson, and president of international theatrical distribution Mark Viane. “We are committed to the theatrical experience and our exhibition partners, and want to stress that we are confident that, when the time comes, audiences everywhere will once again enjoy the singular joy of seeing Paramount films on the big screen.”

Along with Thursday’s announcement, the studio also set “Sonic the Hedgehog 2,” a follow-up to this year’s box office smash, to open on April 8, 2022. Other changes to the calendar include a new “Jackass” film (from July 2021 to Sept. 3, 2021), “Under the Boardwalk” (July 22, 2022) and “The Tiger’s Apprentice” (from Feb. 11, 2022, to Feb. 10, 2023).

A Quiet Place 2” was one of the first major movies pulled from release as cases of coronavirus began to spread in the United States. It was originally scheduled to open on March 20, but the studio moved it to Sept. 4 in the hopes that cinemas across North America would be able to resume operations before then. But uncertainty over when movie theaters — which have been shuttered for almost four months — will be able to reopen has only intensified as the pandemic continues to rapidly escalate across the country. Earlier Thursday, AMC Theatres, the country’s biggest theater chain, pushed back its reopening plans again and said it hopes to turn the lights back on before the end August.

It’s yet another sign that a nationwide return to moviegoing may be further delayed by a worsening public health situation. The film delays come days after Christopher Nolan’s sci-fi thriller “Tenet” and hours after Disney’s “Mulan” were taken off release calendars. While those films had been long positioned to help revive moviegoing, sources say that Paramount did not want “A Quiet Place Part 2” to stay on Labor Day weekend and have the pressure of being the first new movie out of the gate during the pandemic.

The first “A Quiet Place” became a sleeper hit for Paramount when it debuted in 2018, earning $340 million globally. Krasinski returned to direct the sequel, while Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds and Noah Jupe will reprise their roles from the original. “A Quiet Place Part 2” again sees their family stay silent and evade deadly monsters in a dystopian world.

For “Top Gun: Maverick,” the move was partially due to scheduling conflicts for Cruise. The actor is expected to film the next two “Mission: Impossible” movies when Paramount would need him to promote “Top Gun: Maverick.” By postponing it until the following summer, it frees up Cruise to embark on one of his trademark global promotional campaigns to tout the movie and his death-defying stunts. And getting Cruise back in the cockpit 30 years later didn’t come cheap. “Top Gun: Maverick” cost over $150 million to make, so Paramount is counting on robust ticket sales to turn a profit.

Read More