Categories
People third

Two people are dead and a third injured after an overnight shooting in Kenosha, police say – CNN

(CNN)Two people were killed and a third was seriously wounded in a shooting in Kenosha, Wisconsin, late Tuesday during the third night of protests over the police shooting of Jacob Blake, police said.

Officers responded to reports of multiple gunshot victims around 11:45 p.m. Tuesday, the Kenosha Police Department said in a news release early Wednesday.
The person injured was taken to the hospital with “serious, but non-life threatening injuries,” police said.
An investigation into the shooting is ongoing and the names and ages of the victims are still being determined, according to the release.
Kenosha County Sheriff David Beth told The New York Times his office is investigating whether the shooting resulted from a conflict between demonstrators and a group of men with weapons who were protecting businesses.
CNN has reached out to the Kenosha Police Department and the Kenosha County Sheriff’s Office.
The protests come days after police shot Blake, a 29-year-old Black man, multiple times as he tried to enter an SUV with his children in the back.
Ben Crump, the civil rights attorney who represents the family, said police shot Blake after he had tried to break up an argument between two women. Police have not provided any information on what led up to the shooting.
Two Kenosha officers have been placed on administrative leave. The shooting is being investigated by the Kenosha County District Attorney Michael Graveley’s office and the Wisconsin Justice Department’s division of criminal investigation, which plans to present a report to Graveley’s office within 30 days, it said.
Wisconsin’s governor declared a state of emergency Tuesday after cars and buildings were set ablaze and called in 250 members of the National Guard to assist. Blake remains in the hospital but his family says he is paralyzed from the waist down. A family attorney said it would take a “miracle” for Blake to ever walk again.

Read More

Categories
soldier third

Third Fort Hood soldier found dead near Texas Army base within past month – Fox News

Another soldier has been found dead near Fort Hood, the third body of a soldier to be discovered near the U.S. Army base in Texas within the past month.

Pvt. Mejhor Morta, 26, was found unresponsive July 17 in the vicinity of Stillhouse Hollow Lake, Fort Hood officials said on Tuesday. Stillhouse Hollow Lake is a reservoir located in Bell County and managed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Fort Worth District.

Officials have not said whether the death is considered suspicious. The Bell County Sheriff’s Department is investigating the incident.

DEAD FORT HOOD SOLDIER DEEMED DESERTER REINSTATED TO ACTIVE-DUTY, WILL RECEIVE MILITARY FUNERAL

“The Black Knight family is truly heartbroken by the tragic loss of Private Mejhor Morta,” said Lt. Col. Neil Armstrong, commander of 1st Brigade 5th Cavalry. Regiment. “I would like to send my heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and loved ones.”

Pvt. Mejhor Morta, 26, who was stationed at Fort Hood, was found unresponsive July 17 in the vicinity of Stillhouse Lake. (Fort Hood Press Center) 

Pvt. Mejhor Morta, 26, who was stationed at Fort Hood, was found unresponsive July 17 in the vicinity of Stillhouse Lake. (Fort Hood Press Center) 

Morta, of Pensacola, Fla., entered the Army in September 2019 as a Bradley Fighting Vehicle mechanic. Since May 2020, he had been assigned to 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, according to a statement released by the Fort Hood Press Center. His awards and decorations include the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, National Defense Service Medal and the Army Service Ribbon.

On June 19, officials discovered skeletal remains in a field in Killeen, just over 10 miles from Stillhouse Hollow Lake, which were identified two days later as the remains of 24-year-old Fort Hood soldier Gregory Wedel-Morales.

U.S. Army officials have said they suspect foul play in the death of Wedel-Morales, who had been missing since last August. Even though Wedel-Morales was scheduled to be discharged from the Army within days of his disappearance, his unit had declared him AWOL and then a deserter.

VANESSA GUILLEN’S BODY FOUND, FELLOW SOLDIER KILLED SELF, ANOTHER SUSPECT IN CUSTODY: FAMILY LAWYER

Wedel-Morales’ was reinstated to active duty after the Killeen Police Department, which serves the town adjacent to Fort Hood, found new evidence suggesting he died before he was “dropped from rolls.” That meant he could be buried with military honors in his home state of Oklahoma.

A $25,000 reward is being offered for information about his case.

On June 30, U.S. Army officials found more human remains, which were later identified as 20-year-old Fort Hood soldier Pfc. Vanessa Guillen, near the Leon River in Bell County, about 20 miles east of Fort Hood. She had been missing since April.

There is no indication that the deaths of Morales and Guillen are connected, but both their families argue Fort Hood officials did not investigate the disappearances with enough empathy or urgency.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Members of Congress joined advocates for women Tuesday to continue the call for changes in the way the military handles sexual abuse and harassment following the death of Guillen, whom investigators believe was bludgeoned to death and dismembered by a fellow soldier stationed at the same base.

The Associated Press contributed to this report. 

Read More

Categories
Americans third

A third of Americans surveyed engaged in risky cleaning behaviors during the Covid-19 pandemic. Some have even gargled with bleach. – CNN

(CNN)Americans are putting their health at risk while trying to protect it.

About a third of Americans surveyed by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have used some kind of risky cleaning practice to stop the spread of Covid-19, the CDC said on Friday.
People have put bleach their food. Others have gargled or inhaled it. And some have washed their bodies with household cleaning and disinfectant products.
None of this cleaning behavior is recommended by the CDC. But this gap in understanding how to safely clean and handle cleaning products during the Covid-19 pandemic may explain why there’s been a sharp increase in the number of calls to poison centers during the pandemic.
The new research, published Friday in the CDC’s weekly health report, was based on an online panel survey of 502 adults in May of this year.
People said they were cleaning more frequently because of the pandemic, but only about half said that they really knew how to clean and disinfect their home safely. And of those people who were surveyed that acknowledged that they used high-risk cleaning practices to prevent the spread of Covid-19, more were likely to report health problems related to cleaning.
The biggest problem area was people’s limited understanding about how to prepare cleaning solutions. Only 23% knew, for instance, to use only room temperature water to dilute bleach solutions.
People were better about using gloves and other protective equipment.
About 71% said they knew gloves were recommended for use with some cleaning materials and 68% said they knew they should wash their hands after using cleaning products. Most people also said they knew that they should keep cleaners out of the reach of children, but only 54% knew that hand sanitizers should be kept in a place that children couldn’t get to.
The CDC recommends that people always read the instructions on cleaning products. When cleaning, wear gloves or other protective gear. Don’t mix cleaning chemicals.
The CDC also said it will be important to continue education campaigns to help people better understand how to safely clean while they are home.

Read More

Categories
third updates

Live updates: A third of Americans show signs of anxiety or depression; Twitter starts fact-checking Trump – The Washington Post

Twitter appended a fact-check to one of President Trump’s tweets for the first time on Tuesday, directing users to news articles that contradict Trump’s false claim that allowing people to vote by mail will lead to fraudulent election results.

Here are some significant developments:

  • Remdesivir, the only known coronavirus treatment, was developed with significant help from taxpayer subsidies. But federal agencies haven’t asserted patent rights to the drug, meaning that manufacturer Gilead will be able to set its own price.
  • Partisan battles over wearing face coverings in public continued on Tuesday as President Trump mocked a mask-wearing reporter for being “politically correct.” The presumptive Democratic candidate, Joe Biden, called Trump a “fool.”
  • House Republican leaders will file a federal lawsuit challenging Democrats’ plan to allow remote voting by proxy for the first time in the chamber’s history.
  • Amtrak says it will need an additional $1.5 billion bailout to stay afloat, given the likelihood that ridership will not return to pre-pandemic levels in the new fiscal year beginning in October.
  • North Carolina officials are demanding a written safety plan from the organizers of the Republican National Convention to be held in Charlotte as Trump said Gov. Roy Cooper (D) had to guarantee “within a week” it could take place in August as planned.

Read More